We are so happy you’re interested in getting involved with our work here at The Salaam Center. We do not receive any government benefits and are completely reliant on donations and our wonderful volunteers. All proceeds go directly to serve the refugee community in Baltimore. There are so many ways for you to help, and we truly appreciate each and every effort.
- Teach English or citizenship classes.
- Help people understand their mail and other paperwork; help with phone calls, medical appointments, etc.
- Help with a Saturday program, sports event, summer camp, clothes drive, or special event.
- Make home or hospital visits with Reda or Nadia.
- Provide transportation for individuals.
- Help pick up or deliver donated furniture and other items.
- We welcome other ideas for volunteer involvement!
- Hygiene items: shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, soap or body wash, lotions, feminine hygiene products, etc.
- Food items (no canned goods other than tuna or chicken): flour, sugar, olive or cooking oil, Jasmine or Basmati rice, cereal, fresh fruits and vegetables, coffee, tea bags, nuts of any kind.
- Laundry detergent.
- Diapers, especially larger sizes.
- Basic household and kitchen items.
- Furniture (please send photo first as the Center has very limited storage space, so larger items need to go directly to a family).
- Used clothing/shoes/coats in good condition.
Make a Donation
- Give recurring, monthly support or a one-time gift. We welcome financial donations from both individuals and churches.
- Plan a small fundraising event at your church or any convenient place, where we can share about the Center’s activities and outreach endeavors.
How can I make a financial donation?
Write a check using the following details: Pleasant View Baptist Church in Port Deposit, MD handles the finances for the Center. Tax-deductible donations can be made through Pleasant View Baptist Church, 150 Downin Lane, Port Deposit, MD 21904. Please designate checks in the memo line for the Salaam Center (used for expenses or benevolence of the Center) or Narouz Family Support (helps support the Director and his family).
We have many opportunities for you to get involved at the Salaam Center and support the local refugee community. If you are interested in joining our mission in any form, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We look forward to connecting with you!